The diagnosis Path

I brought Noah to his first assessment when he was about 2 years old. Noah demonstrated a very good eye contact with me and thus the result of the assessment stated that Noah did not fulfill the criteria of Autism Spectrum Disorder. However, Noah had a very serious speech delay and we brought him for second opinion when he was 3 years old. Then the result showed that he was on spectrum.

It was sometimes too young for a child to fulfill the criteria on whether he was on spectrum or not. But, as a mother I had the gut feeling that something not so right for my boy and I was kind of 'trained' him up on eye contact and started introduce him education toys. Of course my boy showed no interest on those education toys.

I entered his life by spending time with play with him. It helped him in his early age to improve his eye contact and awareness of his surrounding. He was very well aware of any strangers that entered into his 'compound' but he was too rigid to accept that.

It was not easy to find the necessary resources to help Noah. Furthermore the fees could be very burden. We enrolled Noah to Speech Therapy and Occupational Therapy each once a week when he was three. 

Comments