Top 3 Issues faced with Teachers & Therapists for Family with Autism

Unlike living with normal kids, a family with Autism often faced challenges that many cannot imagined. Here I concluded the common issues faced by family with autism, when dealing with teachers & therapists

Rejection From School
I recalled the times where I was about to enroll Noah to his first school, the first and foremost challenge that I faced was being rejected, giving the reason that the school could not able to handle special kids. 
Some of my peers had enroll the kid successfully in school but later being 'kicked out' from it with the same reasons. 

Can One really trust the Therapists?
Therapists are the professionals that being trained to help the special child to improve in many areas in life. Still, there are cases we faced by many family with autism on 

a. High Charges
As for my case, my family is not rich and the fees charged is very burden. The resources available for the needs is very limited that cause high charge for it. Many family find it hard to afford and for my case, I trim down lots of others area to fulfill the payment for therapy classes.

b. Progress & Effectiveness
Despite high charges, sometimes we skeptical on the result yield from the therapy session. We sometimes notice very little improvement over years and we doubt on the effectiveness of the therapy session that being conducted. 
Take Noah for an example, Noah started his Speech Therapy at the age of 3 and remain non-verbal now. Noah is turning 6. 

c. Being Abused by Therapist
In many case that parents are not involved when therapy session is being conducted. I read a sharing case from a parents recently, she hired a home visit ABA therapist and found out her son was being badly abused (verbal threatening, showing tantrum to the kid, grab the child hard to make him stay still, pushing the child head down and etc). My heart sink while watching the video and I wonder whether Noah ever encounter this during his therapy session. 

Treatment in School
On top of the therapy session to help Noah with his Autism, I also enroll Noah in Normal school and these are what we faced normally.

a.Noah was being Slapped by teacher on his face
There was a day I saw Noah has a red slap mark on his face and it stayed for almost a week time. I confronted the Principal for days and finally she admitted she slapped Noah. The principal told me that Noah could not follow instruction and she had some personal problem to deal with etc. For whatever reason, I put the blame on myself to choose this school for him. 

b. Being neglected
On the other hand, due to Noah is with Autism, there are many activities that Noah was being excluded. I can understand the reason behind and it is really difficult to get Noah participation. There were times that the kids were having social circle time and Noah was alone on the corner scribbling on a piece of paper. 
The matter that bothering me the most is still on his progress, as I doubt Noah is able to learn or improve his social skill under such environment. 
On top of that, I myself notice the same thing happened in Church Sunday School. 

However, still Noah is surrounded by many nice people who accept him with Love 💓


Comments